What is "runtime error 216”?
Runtime error 216 is an error that may occur upon opening Windows Explorer or Internet Explorer in Windows 98 or Windows ME. This happens mainly due to the Backdoor SubSeven Trojan. The virus disguises itself as a setup file and is sent by email. Upon execution it infects the system and returns the runtime error.
Operating System and applications affected by runtime error 216 are:
- All versions of Windows 98
- Windows ME
- Internet Explorer 4 and 5
Error appearing on the screen
“Runtime Error 216 at memory Address”
What causes runtime error 216?
A run time error is generated during the execution of a program installed on the system. The moment a program is double clicked the error pops up on the screen immediately.
Run time Error 216 occurs because of two reasons:
- Oakley SmartWheel Mouse Driver
- Backdoor SubSeven Trojan
What should I do to fix the runtime error 216?
Oakley SmartWheel Mouse Driver- This driver provides additional features and functionalities to a mouse installed on Windows OS. You can try the two methods below to solve this issue.
Solution 1–Change the screen area to 800 x 600 pixels.
Here are the steps to do this:
- Click Start go to Settings and then Click Control Panel
- Click the Display and then select the Settings Tab
- Under Screen Area Move the slider to 800 x 600 pixels and Click OK
- Click OK and Click Yes.
If this doesn’t resolve the issue you can try solution 2
Solution 2 – Uninstall Oakley SmartWheel Mouse Driver and check for the error 216.
You can accomplish this by following the steps listed below:
- Click Start and select Control Panel.
- Click Add/Remove Programs.
- Select Oakley SmartWheel software, click Remove and then click Ok.
- Close all the programs and restart the System.
After the system restarts, if the error vanishes but your mouse behaves erratically, you can install the Microsoft Intelli Mouse driver. If this doesn’t solve your issue you can try the next solution.
Backdoor SubSeven Trojan – The Trojan comes as an installable file by mail and addresses itself as Symantec’s virus removal tool. Once you double click, it will either execute the program or download a file from its parent site and install itself on the system. The most common symptoms of this virus are:
- CD-Drive opens erratically
- Files disappear
- Weird dialog boxes keep appearing
- Internet Explorer downloads become slower
- Internet Explorer upon starting gives error 216
- Wave files (.wav extension files) start playing automatically
The best way to get rid of this file is by updating your antivirus program and then disconnecting from the internet and running a full system scan.
If this doesn’t solve the problem you can try the manual removal techniques given on the Symantec website.
If all of the above mentioned steps do not solve the problem, you will need to make a backup of all your important data and perform a clean installation of your Windows operating system.